Without proper sun protection, the sun’s rays can have negative effects on our skin. You can still plan that big trip to the beach, but you should take precautions to protect your skin from the hot Texas sun.
Negative effects of sun exposure:
- Mottled Pigmentation (discolored areas)
- Benign Tumors
- Sallowness (yellow discoloration of the skin)
- Telangiectasis (dilation of small blood vessels under skin)
- Elastosis (destruction of elastic and collagen tissue)
- Pre-cancerous and cancerous skin lesions
There are some cancers that can result from overexposure to the sun and improper protection. These include basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, and melanoma. Each can occur all over the body, but especially in places that are exposed to the sun.
How to protect against over exposure to sun:
- Have readily available sunscreen and lip balms in your car or on your person
- Wear broad brimmed-hats
- Cover up with sun-protective clothing
- Avoid frequent sun exposure between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Wear sunglasses
- Be aware of reflective surfaces (water, cement, and sand)
White Rock Dermatology can help you come up with a sun protection plan if you are someone who spends a lot of time out in the sun. There are a few simple and easy ways to prevent further sun damage on your skin. We’re located in Dallas, TX and our doctors have years of experience treating skin conditions. Contact us or request an appointment for additional information about how White Rock Dermatology can help you with sun protection.